Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Dracula the Unconquered #4 pencils

Oooh, splash page! I like it! But it is still loose or are these the final inks? Dracula is going to be smashed, isn't he?

You're doing a great job!

Still loose for sure. I'll do a bit of organizing with line weight so the focus stays clear.

I realized when I posted it that it looks like the crypt entrance is in the act of collapsing instead of post-collapse.
    My goal was to convey that pulling the pillars down deep underground in the previous page had caused things to collapse on the surface- not entirely, but some. He's meant to be emerging into the ruins of the crypt entrance. I might need to shift some of the rubble around so it's not looking like it's about to fall right on him.

Good as always, but I think there's something strange with the perspective of the interior of the castle in panel one, at right, the area in grey tones. You're using Sketchup (or something similar) in the pages where this hall of the castle appears, right? I did not remember it in previous pages but I reviewed them and I have seen it now. I'd like to learn how to do that, it looks to be very useful.

I think I'll add a background to one of the last two panels. I could be feeling horror vacui with the lower half of the page, but I think it will work well, probably I'll draw it in the 4th panel as the figures are further.

Keep up the great work!

Redmond, Oregon/ also known as Central Oregon
    So is this going the standard 22 pgs ?
    Keep that Pencil Busy!

Almayer- thanks for the feedback, man! I see what you mean about the backgrounds. The page is top-heavy right now. There's a lot of dialogue in the later panels that might balance it out though... I think I'll rough up a BG for the final panel and see what that looks like.

Bryan- it's 24, actually. And here's Page 22!

Oh, I see, too much text, then do as you planned, with no bg, of course! I totally forgot about the dialogues.

Only two pages remaining! Come on!

Beware bad VP placement. According to YOU, the red lines below are: straight, flat, 180, geometrically parallel, no bends. Do they look flat to you? They don't look flat to me. So, what happened? Improper VP placement.

Perspective is a child's jack. It has six points AT ALL TIMES. Human vision restricts us to three but all six exist AT ALL TIMES. Furthermore ALL SIX POINTS are connected. You cannot move one point without moving ALL SIX (it may be some points merely pivot but they still move). The only way to move one arm alone is to break that arm off the jack. Break the jack-break the perspective-break the drawing.

1 pt perspective places the VP in the center of. the drawing. Move that point 1 to the right, the VP at left moves 1 to the right. Now it's 2 pt perspective. Move the center VP 30 to the right, the VP at left moves 30. But wait, there's more. IF there's a VP at left, THEN there's a VP at right. Now you have 3 VPs on the horizon, the red lines are straight and your drawing is smurfed.

The reader has the right to a reliable narrator. There's nothing wrong with grossly distorted 5D space as long as it means something: Acid flashback, drunken stupor, brain tumor, nightmare... something that says we're not in Kansas anymore.

To avoid distortion, get the VP AWAY from the frame (Your VP is Superman, the frame is Kryptonite. Get Superman too close to Kryptonite and he dies. Keep Superman away from the Kryptonite and he lives) For 1 pt, center the point. For 2 point get both points OUTSIDE the drawing.

Got Page 23 finished. Smitty, Almayer- thanks so much for the perspective notes on Pg21 Panel 1. Looks like I got some work to do there.

Hi sdowner!

There's something strange with perspective on the chair and table in the last panel of this new page. Where exactly is the horizon line in this panel?. We see the table from up and the chair too, but looks like the pov of the table is higher. Sorry, I see there's a problem but don't know exactly how to solve it. I guess that changing the perspective on the table the chair would recover a bit of sense, but still the back of the chair seems to run very high to the left and the armrest we see looks like falling (inclined) instead of being 90 degrees to the back of the chair.

But there's also something strange with the figure. I guess you tried to give her the acting of leaving herself fall like tired or something like that, but her back is so inclined that looks like she has her ass in the air instead of placed in the seat. And I think I would separate the chair a bit more from the table. If she's falling down she needs more space to be able to fall on the chair. As it stands now it would hit the right armrest of the chair (an armrest that I think we should be able to see and we don't see here -unless it is what we see... I supposed it is her right forearm, isn't it?-).

I understand that this panel looks easy but it is not! (Well, I think it would be a problem for me, I find it a bit difficult because of her action).

The rest of the page is fine for me. One more and it's done!