Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Logan (movie)

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar
    It's all a set up for X-23 in the inevitable X-Men milking.

Sansa Stark will go to a future timeline and retrieve a conveniently aged up (for her creepy ass fans) X-23 to be the new Wolverine in the next six X-Men movies which will also be about Wolverine, and then star in three more Wolverine movies; because these movies are all about Wolverines - but it's not Red Dawn.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

Ma-Ma's not the law... I'm the LAW! [SUPPORTER] 50%grey's Avatar
    I find it hard to believe that Hugh will hang it up after this. I think we will see him again in a cameo.

Anyway, Movie was awesome except for
    SPOILER! HIGHLIGHT TO READ:
    X24
    . Always dug the families centered around one well known Super Hero concept.

Fox just needs to get rid of Singer now, and they will be rivals for the Marvel/Disney movies. Love to see some healthy competition.
    “Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” ― Andy Warhol

Super Saiyan level: Batman Jeloschi's Avatar
    Loved the girl. Loved Patrick Stewart. Hated the rest. Sorry to be among the minority, but the only thing I found in this movie was depression. I understand why people loved it, but I just didn't.
    GO ROYALS !!!
    DeviantArt

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeloschi View Post
    Loved the girl. Loved Patrick Stewart. Hated the rest. Sorry to be among the minority, but the only thing I found in this movie was depression. I understand why people loved it, but I just didn't.
    Sounds like the most Mark Millar'y adaptation of a Mark Millar Marvel comic!
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

Super Saiyan level: Batman Jeloschi's Avatar
    Lolz, well, I liked Old Man Logan the comic, but this movie, for anyone who hasn't seen it, is in no way related to that story.
    GO ROYALS !!!
    DeviantArt

I thought it was fine and a nice end to High Jackman's run. But I can't say I was blown away by it.

I feel Mangold's heart is in the right place, and has good ideas, but I also thought it didn't quite come together in the execution. You can tell he wanted to go for something bigger and with those themes about immigration, fatherhood and even that sidestory about genetically manipulated crops. But then the screenplay has some narrative shortcomings and a generic plot that seems at odds with the movie it wants to be.
    For all the bluster that this is the most serious, mature X-men movie of all of them, I still felt that it became a formulaic, cartoonish superhero movie.

I'm surprised that I haven't heard anyone bring up the similarities with Wolverine Origins.
    SPOILER! HIGHLIGHT TO READ:
    The fight in the woods, the farm scene where an innocent family dies. Wolverine fighting an evil mind controlled version of himself (A clone this time rather than Baraka Deadpool), the kids having to escape an evil scientific organization that wants to experiment on them.
    The second half of this film is like a better written remake of that first one.

Maybe it was a coincidence, maybe it was meant as symmetry, but I felt uncomfortable being reminded of that first film. And again, for all the talk that this is so different from other X-men movies, I don't actually think that's really the case.

I was also not a huge fan of the R-ratedness of it all. I get that they need more freedom to really nail the character, but it felt a bit overdone. When Logan and Professor X suddenly start swearing up a storm, it's out of character from what we've seen before and takes me out of the movie.

Wolverine didn't bother me, but Professor X swearing was really weird. For a guy who spent his life teaching youngsters, it seemed pretty out of place. "We got the R rating, let's make the most of it."

Then again 90 year old men can get a bit weird, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk View Post
    Wolverine didn't bother me, but Professor X swearing was really weird. For a guy who spent his life teaching youngsters, it seemed pretty out of place. "We got the R rating, let's make the most of it."

Then again 90 year old men can get a bit weird, I guess.
    Older men, even the most intelligent and well spoken, can get incredibly vulgar with their language after suffering serious brain issues/illness. I thought it was excellent they had the courage to put this in.

On another note, I know everything is subjective, but I've been reading a lot of fan reaction to the film. I'm amazed how many people rate other films in the X-Men series above or near Logan.
    Last edited by JPS017; 03-28-2017 at 12:59 PM.

I have been a long time x-men fan, especially Chris Claremont -era and I gotta say this was the first x-men movie I truly felt they got it right. Especially the first half of the movie had me floored! Last act wasn't bad either, but clear shining moments were at the beginning in the movie for me.

Dafne Keen did terrific job and this was great way to end Hugh Jackmans reign as Wolverine. Of course the movie wasn't perfect, but it did the character justice.