Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Other Movies

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar
    Checked out Seventh Son this week.

It's a bit undercooked, but uses some great ingredients and has neat ideas - just not executed to it's fullest potential, and with some questionable practical effects work. There's a little more violence than I was expecting going on. It's not excessive, but there are some pleasant sharp edges I was not expecting.

But it has dragons, witches, and all sorts of supernatural / mythical fun in it, and it has more of a budget than an episode of Hercules / Xena.

And it has Antje Traue in it looking stunning:

Also watched The Gunman - pretty solid action movie if you're in the market for that.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

I've been listening to the Hellraiser Podcast recently, and was convinced to give Midnight Meat Train a second chance after listening to their review of the director's cut. Directors/Unrated cuts have lost some of their shine as they become more of a marketing tool, and not a substantial contribution to the content of the film.

That is not the case with this one.

If you're unfamiliar with the adaptation of Midnight Meat Train, the gist of it is - Lionsgate had a staff changes at the administrative level, and were trying to get away from releasing horror movies at the time. In order to honor their contract, they unceremoniously dumped a heavily cut theatrical version to 102 dollar theaters across America.

I recall following the release of the movie at the time, going out of my way to a dollar theater an hour away from my house, and leaving the theater indifferent to what I had just watched.

The director's cut restores six minutes of footage, which both adds to the plot; and helps sell the gore/horror Clive Barker fans have come to expect from his fiction and movies. Resulting in a movie that stands eye to eye with Hellraiser and Candyman.

The commentary by Ryuhei Kitamura and Clive Barker is fantastic, and the disk includes a handful of featurettes that complete the package. One being an interview with Clive Barker in his house, where he offers a background on his introduction to painting, and a tour of his painting studio and storage.

Highly recommended.

Going back and watching some old favorites, and some old stinkers just to confirm.

Chronicles of Riddick - I still dig this one. The massive scale of it, despite how preposterous and high school level the writing is - it's just so damn fun.

Alien Resurrection - Haven't watched this since it first released on home video, and was surprised to see it was a Jean Pierre Juneut flick, so I wanted to watch it again with that in mind. I still enjoy it. A big budget flick with a lot of great character actors.

Alien 3, or as I prefer Alien Cubed - Still a steaming pile of crap. I had to watch it again because after David Fincher went on to make some entertaining movies, internet nerds feebly attempted to elevate this pile of crap to the level of some of his other work. It's just terrible. It feels like he's trying to fuse Pink Floyd's The Wall and Alien. Fincher kills off the survivors from Aliens, off screen, and then introduces a gaggle of characters, but only three new characters, and none of which are really interesting. Like modern horror, this movie suffers because of too much fodder in the running time. Who cares who dies, because there's no character you're rooting for. Even Ripley is reduced to a piss poor nihilist / emo girl.

I believe the planet was called Fury 161, which fits nicely with the stupid naming conventions of the Riddick franchise; so in my imagination, Riddick could show up here and kick everybody's ass. Then run into an actual Alien, instead of the cheap knock-offs in Pitch Black.

Overall, a pretty good weekend.

Testing... for Science. [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    I like Whedon's Alien better than Fincher's Alien, but they both run a long ways behind Cameron's and Scott's.

I've been rewatching a few older movies as well, as I slowly convert my DVD collection to digital files. Recently re-watched The Maltese Falcon... I think I like the book much better, if only because it seems really obvious to me from the beginning that Bogart is playing everyone, even while he's playing them. But perhaps that's what people like about his performance, I don't know.
    ONLINE PORTFOLIO
    DevArt

"If something's getting made, then someone's getting paid."

Quote Originally Posted by Inkthinker View Post
    I like Whedon's Alien better than Fincher's Alien, but they both run a long ways behind Cameron's and Scott's.
    Well, it's not Whedon or Fincher. Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection were both written, and re-written by numerous writers.

I just think in terms of director maturity - Fincher was on his first feature film with a crappy script, and Jeunet was an established director who may have been handed a minced script; but had already established his directorial vision and brought along with him his entourage of actors from previous films.

I agree, Scott and Cameron are great movies; but it's more fun to watch these as I've seen them fewer times over the years and I just like to go back every now and then to see if I was wrong about enjoying them all those years ago, or if they've gotten better with age like a fine wine.

I believe this episode of the Projection Booth inspired me to go revisit Alien 3 despite my apprehension. They have some great interviews with production staff who speak of a more interesting film than we received.

Alien 3 was why I wanted to see Neill Blomkamp's Alien flick, which would have completely negated the third entry.

Instead, it sounds like I'll be getting Prometheus 2 which is fine. I enjoyed Prometheus and Ridley Scott hits more often than he misses.

I saw Hateful Eight. Really good movie that doesn't even feel like it's 3 hours long. Only one lull spot near the middle but things pick up right after that and don't stop. All the actors were great except Madsen who was just alright. A lot of the characters are really likable or interesting despite also being despicable people. Walter Goggin's Mannix was hilarious with his good ole boy ways. It's really pretty crazy Tarantino pulled off an engaging 3 hour movie of mainly talking. The Ennio Moricone soundtrack was okay, really good in spots and kinda forgettable for the most part. Not the best soundtrack to a Tarantino flick by far. Honestly as much as I like the movie, it's not his best either. Better than Inglorius Basterds and the first half of Death Proof for sure.

The Collector (1965)

Super, super creepy movie.

Ma-Ma's not the law... I'm the LAW! [SUPPORTER] 50%grey's Avatar
    There is a cool app I just got for my Netflix called Smartflix. It basically it gives you the libraries of every country all over the world.

Makes that Library like 100X times bigger.
    “Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” ― Andy Warhol

Kung Fu Killer is the truth. Great fights, engaging plot, and a fantastic villain.

One of Donnie Yen's best recent works.

13 Hours was some serious $hit. I felt like I needed blood pressure meds while watching it.

www.keithdustin.com

Ron Burgandy is down! and it is Baddd!

The worm has turned and it's packing an uzi!