Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Other Movies

Quote Originally Posted by candys View Post
    Recently I watched Transformers: The Last Knight. I must say that this is the best Transformers film since Revenge of the Fallen, yes I quite liked that film, Dark of the Moon and Age of Extinction however were films I quite disliked. If you love action, adventure and a good popcorn movie, go see it. However it is a Transformers film, so you know what you are in for, so watch at your own risk. But I would say give it a go, and go into it with an open mind, you may just like it.
    lolz 10char

Testing... for Science. [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    Recently caught Hail Caesar, and The Man From U.N.C.L.E. remake.

I love a Coen Bros. movie, and Hail Caesar was all kinda entertaining, but it was way unfocused. There's like, five plots and none of them get particularly close attention. It's like a collection of interlacing skits, half of which just end without really being set up. It's still way fun to watch, clearly all the actors are having a pretty good time, but it's oddly disjointed in comparison to what I usually expect from a Coen film.

With The Man from U.N.C.L.E. I had a pretty great time, although I thought the movie was hampered a little by the need to slot in characters from the TV series like Waverly in the third act, but if they wanted to make a sequel I'd watch it. Armie Hammer kinda blows me away here because I'd just recently seen him in Free Fire, where's he's playing a character who looks and acts so differently that the two are nearly unreconcileable. I've got to give this guy more credit and see what else he's doing. And Henry Cavill was clearly relishing an opportunity to play something other than SuperMeh, even if he looks like he walked off the set of BvS. He has some of the best scenes as Napoleon Solo, playing the careless thief-turned-spy with a wry humor.

All in all, a couple movies of good period fun. Watch Hail Caesar to see a bunch of contemporary celebrities have a hoot playing cartoon versions of celebrities from the 1950s, but don't expect the plot to make much sense. The dance numbers are pretty amazing. Watch The Man from U.N.C.L.E. for a rollicking 1960's odd-couple spy thriller.
    ONLINE PORTFOLIO
    DevArt

"If something's getting made, then someone's getting paid."

Sorry about being a dick, candys, but the Transformers movies have been awful. Films are subjective though and I should respect your opinion.

The Hitman's Bodyguard, was a surprise. I thought it would be supbar but Reynolds and Jackson have a good chemistry. Without them the movie is pretty cliche but does have enough action to keep a viewer entertained. I just feel Netflix need to find better writers. Their movies imo have been less than ordinary.

Also watched The Big Sick which was much better than expected. I saw the trailer two months ago and they packaged it to be a conventional rom com. I thought it was actually quite charming.

Last night I saw The Promise which tells the story of Armenian genocide at the hands of the Turkish government. It had a strong cast who put in their expected performances. It was a bit strange that they chose to use a love triangle within the movie but it was a decent movie.

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    I watched Free Fire the other night. Really liked it. Great cast.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar
    Caught a double feature of Lost Boys / It (2017) tonight.

It was fun seeing Lost Boys on the big screen. The 80's gave us some crazy ass vampire movies between Lost Boys and Near Dark.

It was also enjoyable. I was expecting to be more scared by it, but I found I rather enjoyed it, and appreciate that it wasn't loaded with cop-out jump scares and other annoying gimmicks that make modern horror movies unwatchable.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

Testing... for Science. [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    "One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach: all the damn vampires"
    ONLINE PORTFOLIO
    DevArt

"If something's getting made, then someone's getting paid."

I regret not seeing Baby Driver on the big screen. Trailers didn't do enough to sell me on the movie. It's super slick but just tapered a little to the end. Maybe because I don't buy into Jon Hamm's character. It's me though because I can't see him as anything but Don Draper. Still entertaining overall.

Blade Runner 2049

They actually pulled it off. They not only made a great sequel to Blade Runner. They made a great movie in its own right. I'm kind of stunned how good it is. I'm honestly think it's one of the best movies of the year if not the movie of the year.

I have one gripe, and that is that the memorable end credits theme from the first one didn't play anywhere in this film. So when that's the only thing I can complain about, I'd say its a great movie.

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar
    I've recently been bitten by the limited run Steelbook home video release bug.

Alex Ross did a series of Best Buy exclusive Universal Monsters steelbook paintings that are fantastic.

Now the divisive Valerian is getting a pretty exceptional Best Buy exclusive:

The limited run aspect of these makes them somewhat fun / frustrating to obtain. I need to find out who the artist on the Valerian box is, it looks familiar and much better than the generic photo manipulation being used on the French edition.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

Quote Originally Posted by jharker View Post
    Blade Runner 2049

They actually pulled it off. They not only made a great sequel to Blade Runner. They made a great movie in its own right. I'm kind of stunned how good it is. I'm honestly think it's one of the best movies of the year if not the movie of the year.

I have one gripe, and that is that the memorable end credits theme from the first one didn't play anywhere in this film. So when that's the only thing I can complain about, I'd say its a great movie.
    I was completely blown away by this movie. The visuals, the story, the characters, everything hit me hard. What the **** did I just watch? What's the meaning of life?