Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: nsterken art blog

nsterken art blog

Here is my art blog, feel free to critique or comment however you like.

I'll start with this morning's figure drawing that was really a study on my technique or one of many techniques.

Corel Painter rocks for figure drawing.

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    Looking good. Keep in mind her center of gravity. Her plant leg is a little too far forward.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas71 View Post
    Looking good. Keep in mind her center of gravity. Her plant leg is a little too far forward.
    Good eye, Veritas. Her COG rests between her torso and abdominal masses in the picture. Mine looks tilted back by a few degrees. In figure drawing a dancer, though, this mistake becomes much more apparent since dancers master the graceful art of balance to achieve perfect form (hence why they have been great for learning figure drawing, IMO).

Right now I am working through Hampton's book and it works great for learning figure drawing.

http://www.figuredrawing.info/

Right now I am on the COG page and I do not move on til I feel I have 'aced' the concepts on the page I'm on. But I am sort of stuck with the COG and recognizing how to fix it in my drawings.

Veritas, could you do a quick overlay of the COG line and how her masses are arranged in relation to it (like in the photo and my gesture)? And then could you give suggestions on how I might go about pushing the dynamics of the pose (in relation to the COG)?

Thanks so much for the help!

EDIT: So I went ahead and did another and tried to correct the COG issue.

I like the 2nd try better as far as the COG. I think I could do a better job at communicating the shape and direction of her rear leg.
    Last edited by nsterken; 06-13-2015 at 08:42 PM.

Another one for today. I think I still learned about COG here. This one focused more on the different masses relationships to one another and how they made up the gesture of the pose. Or something like that.

Smile Figure Drawing, gesture

Critiques? Comments? Ideas?

Croquis Cafe #82

Gesture, figure study

Feel free to crit & give suggestions

nice job on the figure studies. really nice way of breaking the figures down!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjedichicken View Post
    nice job on the figure studies. really nice way of breaking the figures down!

Thanks! Compliments of Michael Hampton: I have found this book indespensible:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/061...ilpage_o03_s00

Found some time to work on comics today:

Quote Originally Posted by nsterken View Post
    Good eye, Veritas. Her COG rests between her torso and abdominal masses in the picture. Mine looks tilted back by a few degrees. In figure drawing a dancer, though, this mistake becomes much more apparent since dancers master the graceful art of balance to achieve perfect form (hence why they have been great for learning figure drawing, IMO).

Right now I am working through Hampton's book and it works great for learning figure drawing.

http://www.figuredrawing.info/

Right now I am on the COG page and I do not move on til I feel I have 'aced' the concepts on the page I'm on. But I am sort of stuck with the COG and recognizing how to fix it in my drawings.

Veritas, could you do a quick overlay of the COG line and how her masses are arranged in relation to it (like in the photo and my gesture)? And then could you give suggestions on how I might go about pushing the dynamics of the pose (in relation to the COG)?

Thanks so much for the help!

EDIT: So I went ahead and did another and tried to correct the COG issue.

I like the 2nd try better as far as the COG. I think I could do a better job at communicating the shape and direction of her rear leg.
    A very basic rule to finding COG is that it rests under a person's chin. That is ALWAYS a standing human's COG. If they are resting their weight on one leg then their heel will fall directly below their chin. If weight is evenly distributed between two legs then their chin will bisect their heels. The dancer's COG is on her toe, with her chin in line with that point. Partial weight distribution is a bit more difficult, but it becomes a simple percentage math problem - this is especially the case with a person using a cane. Hope that helps.
    Cheers, Alex

Pencilling Page Update

I have quite a bit of work to post but not enough time to post it so here is an update of the previous page: