Thread: Inuyashiki, the new sci-fi comic series by Gantz creator Hiroya Oku

Inuyashiki, the new sci-fi comic series by Gantz creator Hiroya Oku

The creator of one of the greatest sci-fi- and action comics ever, Hiroya Oku, has decided to pick up his pen again and create another sci-fi comic. He's come back with his new series, Inuyashiki. The story's about a sickly, middle-aged husband and father of two (the titular character, Ichiro Inuyashiki) who's inexplicably hated by his family. He wants to do good-- he lives in an area with a fair amount of crime and wants desperately to do something about it every time-- but the combination of his age and his family's discouraging behavior keeps him from doing anything. After learning he has stomach cancer and sitting in a park for a while trying to both cope and figure out how to tell his family, he and a young man near him both see a bright light and suddenly die-- their bodies destroyed beyond repair in the process. However, the forces which accidentally destroyed him-- presumably aliens [a common trope in Oku's work]-- decide to try and fix both of them.

Since their bodies have been destroyed beyond repair and all they have to spare are weapons parts, both of them come back as highly destructive androids, all of their memories in tact. Now they both have to cope with facing the reality that both of them are dead. Their memories and personalities may be the same, but the people they think they were are dead; they're androids, they aren't people anymore. They both react to this differently. Inuyashiki, after momentarily deciding he wants nothing to do with his family (since he's a robot and, therefore, has no reason to care about them, and they kind of hate him), rescues a homeless man from a group of hoodlums who tried to light him on fire [another trope in Oku's work, strangely; hoodlums killing homeless people for fun]. After doing so, realizes he's still a good person, that he still has the same emotions he used to have and, even though he isn't what he used to be, he still cares about people and he's going to use his abilities to help people. The other person, however, Hiro Shishigami, uses his newfound abilities to unleash his psychopathic characteristics on whoever he wants [young, psychopathic sadists are yet another common characteristic in Hiroya Oku's work], killing at least 15-people in two weeks (including a family of four in their own home). They meet for the first time since the accident (neither of them recognizing each other) as Inuyashiki comes to the home too late to save the people.

As with much of Oku's work, the characterization can be somewhat frustrating. When the characters are good people, you do end up genuinely caring about them. However, those people are, for the most part, sandwiched between a group of either straight-up psychopathic sadists, morally-flexible narcissists or just cowardly douchebags (or a combination of the three), which really makes the world-view that Oku's trying to show people very questionable. However, though that does end up being very frustrating, the protagonist's goodness does end up shining through and makes you want to keep reading. Also, as is common among the work of Oku, the artwork is very nice. Here's some of it:

There're only 19 chapters out so far, and I think there's a new one out every other week. You can read it online for free (since it hasn't been licensed yet and there's no other way to read it right now).
    Crying over never-made sequels to underrated movies. All day, every day.

DA
    PJ
    Tumblr
    Twitter

Oh wow, thanks for bringing this to my attention, I remember when I started reading Gantz I read a dozen volumes in one sitting...it was so gripping. Really looking forward to see how does one plays out.
    PUMMEL Stats | TUMBLR | BLOG | Figure Drawing Blog
    SLAM | Light Heavyweight
    (2014) Wins:05 | Losses:03 | Knockouts:05

A real nice Geof Darrow-esque page from one of the final in the series.

It looks like it's either ended or there's gonna be one more chapter. I would've liked it to have one more arc (that way it could end on chapter 100, which has a nice finality to it), but either way it was a great story. The action was great, the themes really made you think (not many other sci-fi stories in history have dealt with the "becoming psychopathic once you become more cybernetic" idea like they have "how great it'll be once we all become machines as long as we can avoid Skynet", and especially not to the depth that Inuyashiki did), and the fact that you were able to feel for Shishigami despite everything he'd done shows not only what a great writer Oku is, but the depth to the story.
    It kinda makes sense that it's ending now, though. Other than having the characters fight aliens, which would end up going on forever and which Oku already got his fill of with Gantz, it feels like there's not much else he could do with the Inuyashiki universe that would really fit the series.
    If they do it right and don't drown it in shitty CGI, the Shishigami-Inuyashiki fight will be really cool to watch in the anime.

DA
    PJ
    Tumblr
    Twitter

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar
    How old are you ssss6eight1? Not being a wise acre, legit curious because a lot of the early cyberpunk novels and anime dealt with the side effects of hybridization. I'm guessing you're a bit younger and may have missed it.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

^Don't I look quite the fool then.

DA
    PJ
    Tumblr
    Twitter