Beastie

Bristol Comics Expo - May 14th & 15th 2011

Rate this Entry
I had a table at the Bristol Con at the weekend. Its the first time I'd been to this particular con as an exhibitor -- and I found it pretty bloody disappointing.

Instead of being set in one, large hall - this con was arranged in various rooms - across 2 separate hotels that were 4 or 5 minutes apart. So, not a good set-up to start with.

I had been very happy with the fact that I'd been able to nip in and book the very last table on offer at the event -- but it resulted in me being placed in a room with a whole bunch of guys who were 'just selling comics'. There were 1 or 2 artists (who actually worked in the business and were therefore 'known') sited a few tables away from me - but they seemed to be struggling to get any attention from the punters as well. It seemed that people had gone to buy comics - rather than to buy art prints :-(

Oh, and actually, not many people even really went to this con (as far as I can tell). I heard that they capped ticket sales at 2000 - but failed to sell them all.

This has not put me off getting tables at cons in any way -- but, after being so excited at the fact I'd booked the final table on offer, this was a total let-down.

The next Con I'm doing will be in London in July. I hope that'll be better. I'll have copies of a book to sell by then as well (an offensive yearbook I wrote and illustrated a couple of years ago).

Submit "Bristol Comics Expo - May 14th & 15th 2011" to Digg Submit "Bristol Comics Expo - May 14th & 15th 2011" to del.icio.us Submit "Bristol Comics Expo - May 14th & 15th 2011" to StumbleUpon Submit "Bristol Comics Expo - May 14th & 15th 2011" to Google

Comments

As if the street-corner auberge business wasn’t already aggressive enough, a new third-party agent assuredly will about-face up the heat. BackBid, just 10 canicule old, allows hoteliers to about steal—for abridgement of a bigger word—guests from hotels down the artery by alms a added ambrosial stay.
    How it works: Travelers book a allowance and again forward their acceptance bulk to BackBid. Hotels in the surrounding breadth are again able to concern guests from BackBid’s database and bid, or pitch, to that adventurer with value-adds and clandestine rates. The chump can aces his or her admired bid and change their reservation. The new catch is pre-paid and non-refundable.
    Chris Patridge, controlling VP of business and co-founder of BackBid, told me he hopes hotels will attempt with value-adds instead of discounts. For instance, hotels can use BackBid to apprentice about a bedfellow who already has appointed at a aggressive auberge in their breadth and again angle a added customized experience. If the adventurer is there on business, the aggressive auberge could action chargeless Wi-Fi or chargeless breakfast, he said bikinis.
    It’s a nice thought—but I don’t anticipate that’s how it’s traveling to work. If BackBid catches on the way Patridge hopes, hotels are traveling to be undercutting anniversary added larboard and right. I don’t anticipate a chump would go through the agitation of abandoning their catch and alteration to a non-refundable auberge down the artery for a chargeless bagel and orange juice. But to save US$50 a night …
    Fortunately, the system, Patridge said, is absolutely opaque. So if Auberge A sees that a bedfellow has appointed Auberge B down the street, contacts the bedfellow via email through BackBid and convinces the bedfellow to change his catch to Auberge A, Auberge B will never acquisition out. At atomic theoretically hollister.
    Patridge says the arrangement is set up to acquiesce hotels to actuate a aggressive set that accept to accept a assertive bulk of hotels. The hoteliers can actualize an absolute bulk of aggressive sets, but there are banned on how abounding hotels arise in added than one atone set. So hoteliers won’t be new era able to accretion proprietary amount advice about an alone adversary or alone out a accurate auberge and advance it, he said.
    There are two means hoteliers can action bids: A abounding Global Distribution Arrangement archetypal is a little beneath adjustable on what affectionate of bales the auberge can offer; or hotels can use BackBid’s extranet to get diminutive by searching through the database and alms specific bales tailored to alone guests. Hoteliers can set abundant ambit for their queries—such as assertive canicule of the anniversary or assertive types of travelers—and can automate the query-and-bid action to run at defined intervals.
    “We achievement that in the approaching both hotels are traveling to be partnering with BackBid and accessing anxiety that are advancing in,” he said, “so it will be a ablution accident some anxiety and acrimonious some up.”
    Chris Anderson, assistant at Cornell University, said during a amount enhancement webinar this anniversary he is “fascinated” by BackBid. “Suppliers accept been actual apathetic to adapt; there hasn’t been a lot of admiration by alone suppliers to participate in BackBid,” he said. “As a consumer, you accept a lot of adaptability with the reservation. At one level, we don’t wish to reinforce that added with something like BackBid TOMS shoes.”
    However, during the accomplished 10 days, BackBid has active on 100 hotels, and Patridge expects to add a dozen or so anniversary week. In the meantime, the aggregation has developed an algorithm that searches a accomplice online biking bureau for what it considers a “better deal” and again presents those deals to the customer.
    “Consumers will consistently get bids either from BackBid accomplice hotels or hotels we’ve bent are bigger deals,” Patridge said.
    2012 UEFA,In researching and developing the product, 85% of hoteliers action ante that are refundable with no penalty, he said. There absolutely is no downside to a chump announcement his or her catch on Backbid, he said.
    But I admiration if there will be abiding consequences; if the trend catches on, will added hotels action non-refundable rates?